Request for subsequent designation relating to an already existing international registration (MM4)
By submitting a request for subsequent designation, you can add (subsequently designate) further countries to your international trade mark registration or add (for an already designated country) further goods and services from the list of your international registration (MM4). The request may be filed via the DPMA or directly at WIPO.
Filing at the DPMA can also be carried out electronically and without a signature.
If you want to electronically file this request with the DPMA, please first fill in the necessary forms, save them in PDF/A format on your computer and then upload them to the online application international registration at the DPMA. No signature is required on the documents. Please do not print out the documents and do not scan them. (Exception: Form MM18, see below).
The following forms are required for the request for subsequent designation relating to your already existing international registration:
- Begleitschreiben an das DPMA zum Antrag auf internationale Registrierung einer Marke(M8005): This letter contains your request to the DPMA, in which you communicate to us your name, your contact details and the file number of your existing international registration a.o.
- Designation subsequent to the international registration – MM4: For a request for subsequent designation relating to an already existing international registration, you must use Form MM4, issued by WIPO (in English or French).
Additionally, you can submit:
- Claim of seniority (European Union) - MM17: This form (in English or French), issued by WIPO, is required if you designate the European Union and claim seniority.
- Declaration of intention to use the mark (USA) – MM18: For the designation of the USA, a declaration of intention to use the mark is additionally required on this form (in English) issued by WIPO. Please note that the submission of form MM18 is not possible without a handwritten signature. If necessary, you must print out and sign the form, and scan it using PDF/A format.
- SEPA specification of the purpose of use (A 9532.1)
The fee of the DPMA for the request for subsequent designation (fee number: 334 300; 120 euros) must be paid within one month after submitting the request (Information on the payment of fees at the DPMA ). If the fee is not paid in due time, the request for subsequent designation is deemed to be withdrawn (Sec. 6 Patent Costs Act).
After you have saved the necessary forms on your computer (please use PDF/A format – other formats are currently not supported), go to the online application international registration, where you can upload the files and send them electronically to the DPMA.
Last updated: 19/07/19