The electronic document archive of the DPMA
Information brochures on DEPATISnet
- DEPATISnet (flyer)
DEPATISnet offers you the opportunity to carry out searches in the DPMA's electronic document archive online and free of charge. It includes more than 80 million patent publications from around the world. DEPATISnet is particularly suited to state-of-the-art and freedom-to-operate searches.
There are five different search types available to you:
- Beginner's search: The most important search criteria are listed for you in the relevant search fields.
- Expert search: Expert mode helps you formulate more complex queries. In this search function, any defined search criteria can be entered into one search field and can be combined with long and more complex search queries via Boolean operators.
- IKOFAX search: As an experienced user, you can formulate searches in this mode directly in IKOFAX Messenger query language — the internal search language of the DEPATIS patent information system.
- Patent family search: This mode allows you to discover if a patent family exists. A patent family designates a group of patent documents from several countries which can be traced back to the same first filing.
- PIZ support: Your request will be forwarded to a patent information centre for processing.
The help section of DEPATISnet provides you with detailed information and explanations on the use of the various search options, the available documents and the latest database updates.
A variety of options
- The service disposes of both German and English user interfaces
- Via DEPATISnet you can also search in the International Patent Classification (IPC) and the corresponding catchword index
There are various options available for viewing the bibliographical data and documents found by your search of relevant documents in DEPATISnet.
- Configurable result lists allow you to display not only bibliographical data available, but also the original document in PDF format.
- You can browse through individual pages of a document or jump directly to certain parts of the document ("subdocuments").
- The documents can be printed on a page-by-page basis or in full.
- The result lists can be exported in various formats for further processing afterwards.
- DEPATISnet is provided by the DPMA free of charge. Data on the latest German documents are available on the respective official publication day (generally on a Thursday).
The following support is available for your searches:
- the Central Customer Care and Services of the DPMA (Phone: +49 89 2195-1000)
- the database hotline for search support (Phone: +49 89 2195-3435) provides answers to your queries and gives tips on research methods
- experts working in the DPMA search rooms in Munich and Berlin provide you with support
- over 20 regional patent information centres patent information centres throughout Germany offer detailed information on industrial property protection. The patent information centres also carry out research on your behalf for a fee
- patent attorneys and lawyers, industrial information brokers and patent rapporteurs, too, offer search services and can be found via most common online search engines
Picture: iStock.com/MücahiddinSentürk, Picture 2: iStock.com/BrianAJackson
Last updated: 22/04/19