Fees for trade mark rights
against misleading requests for payment
Detailed fee information for:
|Type of fees||Amount|
|Application fee (including class fee for up to three classes)||300 euros|
|Application fee for electronic filing (including class fee for up to three classes)||290 euros|
|Class fee upon filing application (for the fourth class and for each additional class)||100 euros|
|Application fee for a collective and certification mark||900 euros|
|Accelerated examination of the application||200 euros|
|Renewal fee (including class fee for up to three classes)||750 euros|
|Renewal fee for a collective and certification mark||1.800 euros|
|Class fee upon renewal (for the fourth class and for each additional class)||260 euros|
|Opposition proceedings – basic amount for an opposing sign||250 euros|
|Opposition proceedings – fee for each additional opposing sign||50 euros|
|Application fee on the grounds of invalidity due to absolute grounds for refusal||400 euros|
|Application fee on the grounds of revocation||100 euros
|The basic application fee includes the fee for three classes of goods or services. A class fee must be paid for each additional class.
The basic application fee and any class fees are request fees, which will be forfeited upon filing the request and payment (irrespective of the outcome of the trade mark registration procedure). This means that the request fees will not be refunded, for example, in case of withdrawal of the trade mark application.
Fees are only refunded in case of payment without legal ground. Please note that a refund fee of ten euros will be retained in that case.
- Detailed information on costs and fees is available in the information leaflet Information Concerning Costs, Fees and Expenses.
- The necessary forms and information leaflets are available for download at Forms.
- Information on payment transactions is available here.
Payment periods and notices
- After filing your trade mark application you will receive an acknowledgement of receipt and additionally, in the case of an online application, a summary with your file number.
- The amount of the fees is communicated to you together with the acknowledgement of receipt of the summary. Please note that the payment period starts to run as from the date of filing of the application, that means irrespective of when you receive the acknowledgement of receipt. The DPMA does not send out any further invoices or fee notifications.
- Please make sure that your basic application fee and any additional class fees, if appropriate, have been credited to the account of the DPMA within three months after receipt of the application. Otherwise your application is deemed to be withdrawn by operation of law.
- If the applicant fails to pay the class fees or does not pay the full class fees within the three-month period, the application is deemed to be withdrawn for some of the goods or services.
- If accelerated examination is requested, the fee must also be paid within three months after filing the request. If this fee is not paid or not paid on time, the request for accelerated examination is deemed to be withdrawn. The application will then be processed under the normal procedure.
- The trade mark is initially protected for ten years from the filing date of the trade mark application. In order to extend the term of protection to a further ten years, you have to pay the renewal fees; you will not receive an invitation to pay the fees.
- The renewal fee for the following term of protection is due six months before the end of the term of protection. If the renewal fee is not paid until after expiry of the term of protection, surcharges must be paid in addition to the renewal fee within the six-month grace period. If the term of protection of the trade mark is to be extended for more than three classes, additional class fees incur. The DPMA informs the trade mark proprietor eight months in advance of the expiry of the term of protection, but it is not liable if the information is not provided.
- Transitional provisions: For registered trade marks with a term of protection ending before or on 31 January 2020, the provisions concerning the expiry of the term of protection and the due dates for payment of fees under the Patent Costs Act in its old version (Sec. 159(2) of the Trade Mark Act) are applicable. More information is available in the form W 7412 Antrag auf Verlängerung einer Marke (Request for the renewal of a trade mark [in German]).
When is the renewal fee due? - An example:
When is the renewal fee due? – An example: If the filing date of your trade mark is 17 January 2019, the ten-year duration of protection ends on the expiry of 17 January 2029. The first renewal fee will be due six month before that date, on 17 July 2028. This fee can be paid without surcharge until the expiry of the duration of protection. After that date, a surcharge for late payment of 50 euros will be due. Additional surcharges for late payment may be due for class fees for the fourth and any additional classes. Then, you will still have time until 17 July 2029 to pay the renewal fee and the surcharges for late payment. Without sufficient payment, the registration of your trade mark will be cancelled with effect from the expiry of the duration of protection.
- The day of payment is crucial for the observance of the term of payment. The day of payment depends on the mode of payment.
- Advance payment of the renewal fee may be made six months before expiry of the respective term of protection at the earliest.
International trade mark applications
|for international registration (WIPO form MM2)
Fee number 334 100
|for designation subsequent to the international registration (WIPO form MM4)
Fee number 334 300
|Important: These fees must be paid within one month after filing the request for international registration (or subsequent designations) to the DPMA.|
Last updated: 8 May 2020