Fees for utility model protection
against misleading requests for payment
Detailed fee information for:
|Type of fees||Amount|
|Application fee for electronic filing||30 euros|
|Application fee for paper-based filing||40 euros|
|Search fee (not necessary for registration)||250 euros|
|First maintenance fee after three years||210 euros|
|Second maintenance fee after six years||350 euros|
|Third maintenance fee after eight years||530 euros|
|Cancellation request||300 euros|
- Detailed information on costs and fees is available in the information leaflet Information Concerning Costs, Fees and Expenses.
- The necessary forms and information leaflets are available for download at Forms.
- General information on payment transactions of the DPMA is available here.
Payment periods and notices
- After filing your utility model application you will receive an acknowledgement of receipt with your file number. The DPMA does not send out any invoices or fee notifications.
- Please make sure that the application fee is received at the DPMA within three months after the date of filing. Otherwise your application is deemed to be withdrawn by operation of law.
- At the beginning of the fourth year you have to pay the maintenance fees for the protection of your utility model; you will not receive an invitation to pay the fees. The maintenance fee is due on the last day of the month in which the respective term of protection ends. Then, you have two months to pay the due fee without surcharge and a further four months to pay the fee with a surcharge of 50 euros (see information leaflet Information Concerning Costs, Fees and Expenses).
- Advance payment of the maintenance fee may be made one year before expiry of the respective term of protection at the earliest.
When is the maintenance fee due? - An example:
The filing date of your utility model is 15 June 2017. The first maintenance fee is due on 30 June 2020. If you have not paid the maintenance fee by 31 August 2020, a surcharge for late payment of 50 euros will be due. Then you will still have time until 31 December 2020, to pay the maintenance fee AND the surcharge. If you fail to pay within that last time limit or fail to pay in full, the IP right will lapse.
|Type of fees||Amount|
|For a utility model:|
(Fee number 321 100)
|Fee for search request
(Fee number 321 200)
The purpose of payment, i.e. the fee number (see above) and the complete file number (PCT), must be indicated when making the payment for national phase entry.
Last updated: 15/08/18