Online file inspection
Electronic file inspection
The free, electronic file inspection for patent and utility model procedures is available online free of charge via the DPMAregister information system. Registry data on the IP right concerned is displayed alongside a "file inspection" button at the end of the page, next to the master and procedural data. By clicking the button, you will be directed to a security question, leading to a tabular overview of the released documents in PDF format to view, download or print.
If the case file is not yet available online, you may request its provision by conventional means (post or fax), in most cases.
Which files are available in the online file inspection service?
- files pertaining to patents granted since 21 January 2013
- files pertaining to utility models registered since 21 January 2013
- files pertaining to patent applications submitted from 21 January 2013 and already published
- patent and utility model files that have been requested for online inspection since 21 January 2013
Which file archives can be viewed online?
Online file inspection is provided by means of a core file. The following file sections, for example, can be viewed via the online file inspection area:
- application documents including the request form for the grant of a patent/registration of a utility model
- designation of inventor
- search and examination request
- search report
- bibliography communication (BIB)
- office actions (official communications on the examination)
- replies to office actions (official communications on the examination) or follow-up to patent examinations and possible newly submitted documents
- protocols of hearings in the examination procedure
- decision to reject application
- decision to grant
- opposition or cancellation
- pleading documents from parties involved in opposition and cancellation proceedings
- protocols of hearings in opposition and cancellation proceedings
- decision of the patent and utility model division in opposition and cancellation proceedings
Further parts of the file, such as:
- requests for deadline extensions
- priority documents and
- non-patent literature
can be provided as part of the regular file inspection procedure.
Information on non-patent literature cited are available in the online file inspection area. This information often allows you to receive cited documents in a very short time period via libraries, online publishers or other sources.
Last updated: 15/02/19