Using search options
The two search rooms of the DPMA in München and at the Information and Service Centre in Berlin also form part of our Customer Care and Services. Irrespective of whether you wish to search for specific IP rights or the state of the art, the staff of the search rooms will help you choosing the appropriate search tools and explain how to use these tools.
You have access to the following information sources in the search rooms:
- the publicly accessible official register of German patents, utility models, trade marks and designs DPMAregister with up-to-date legal and procedural status information and file inspection in patent and utility model procedures
- the publicly accessible DPMA-internal electronic document archive of German and foreign patent documents DEPATISnet, DEPATIS work stations (access to the "search file" of the patent examiners) as well as conventional collections of patent documents on other types of media
- national and foreign patent, trade mark and design gazettes
- trade mark databases and encyclopedias
- design index, arranged by classes of goods (the index comprises the German register (index) cards from 1988 to 2003)
- search tools such as the classifications of the individual IP rights (for example, International Patent Classification)
- collections of standards, such as DIN, ISO, ASTM - it is not allowed to copy most of the documents
- the DPMA’s search portal DPMAprimo for searches for printed and electronic literature from the DPMA stocks with focus on technology, science and industrial property, including automatic integration of an external data index for searches in a huge range of scientific literature with multiple hundreds of millions of data records
The search rooms are reference libraries. All kinds of documents may be used there, but no documents may be taken out of the search rooms.
Munich search room
The Munich search room offers six DEPATIS work stations and three Internet stations. If you wish to use a DEPATIS work station, we recommend that you make an appointment by calling
+49 89 2195-3435 or by sending an e-mail to email@example.com, specifying "Terminvereinbarung" in the subject line.
The opening hours of the Munich search room on our web site Opening hours.
Berlin search room
The Berlin search room offers several DEPATIS work stations and several CD-ROM work stations for searches for national and foreign patents, utility models, designs and trade marks.
It is worth mentioning the collections of patent specifications from Eastern Europe and the USSR/Russia (since 1924). These documents are usually not included in the DEPATIS system. Furthermore, the Technical Information Centre in Berlin offers many information tools for searches for historical IP rights.
If you wish to use a DEPATIS work station, we recommend that you make an appointment by calling
+49 30 25992-230 or +49 30 25992-231.
The opening hours of the Berlin search room on our web site Opening hours.
Terms and conditions
The terms and conditions of use of our search rooms are available for inspection in the search rooms. An overview of possible charges is available in the (in German).
Last updated: 10 August 2019