Notice of 20 March 2019
on organisational measures in the patent area of the German Patent and Trade Mark Office
The German Patent and Trade Mark Office (DPMA) intends to reorganise the patent examination area in order to increase efficiency and thus significantly reduce the duration of procedures for its customers in the long term. The long-term concept for Directorate General 1 (Patents and Utility Models) involves all IP areas operating there. Seven new patent divisions will also be established, among other things. "The restructuring is our way of responding to the greatly increased dynamism of our innovation landscape and to position the DPMA firmly for the future," said DPMA President Cornelia Rudloff-Schäffer. "In the interests of our customers, reducing processing times of procedures while maintaining a consistently high examination quality is a key priority for us."
The seven new patent divisions will be named as follows:
- Patent Division 18: Hybrid Drives, Valves, Vibration Mechanics
- Patent Division 28: Land Vehicles II
- Patent Division 38: Electric Elements and Systems, Signalling, Automotive Electrics
- Patent Division 41: Medical Engineering
- Patent Division 42: Batteries and Fuel Cells
- Patent Division 57: Information Technology and Data Processing II, Image Processing, Indicating Devices, Controlling
- Patent Division 58: Motor Vehicle Safety, Testing/Investigation of Materials
The reorganisation also partly changes the responsibilities of existing clusters and patent divisions, whose names are adapted accordingly. Thus Cluster 1.40 will be renamed "Chemistry, Medical Engineering, Patent Administration, Utility Models". The changes will take effect on 1 April 2019 and will be reflected in the organisation chart of the DPMA on the Internet from that date.
Last updated: 19/07/19